Today started with a change of plans. We’d been told they wouldn’t be able to put in Eliza’s chemotherapy port until Tuesday, so she’d get to be home for a long weekend. This morning we learned she will get the port tomorrow, which is good. But that means no coming home this weekend, which is disappointing. All in all, though, we’re happy for anything that moves the process along.
E had another ultrasound on her head today, just one more test to make sure everything’s ready for chemo. It was fine.
So tomorrow is Port Day. We’re nervous about this. Until now she’s looked and acted completely normal. It sort of feels like tomorrow she officially becomes a sick kid. And the port means chemo, and chemo means… well, we don’t really know yet. But we know it’s not pretty.
Putting in the port also makes it official that we’ve decided to go ahead with Eliza’s treatment here in Prague, rather than traveling to the States. This has been our biggest decision of the past few days, and we have wrestled hard over it. But we prayed for unity between us and a clear sense of direction, God has answered, and we feel good about it. I’ll explain some of our reasons in a separate post.
Here’s how you can pray for tomorrow.
- The port means anesthesia, which means E can’t eat after about 5:30 in the morning. Please pray that everything happens without delays so we can feed her by lunchtime, and that she won’t be too miserable.
- Pray for no complications with the installation (upgrade? application? attachment? Who knows).
- Pray for God to give us the strength to watch this happen. Not strength to avoid grief, but strength to walk through the experience.
- Tonight E was running a slight fever, and she was cranky this afternoon. This could be teeth, or the fact that it’s hot, or realizing things are different, or nothing at all. But please pray the fever will be gone and won’t slow anything down tomorrow.
Every night I try to think of how to explain how grateful we are for all of you. I can’t. But we are. Thank you for loving all of us.